Riot introduces new LoL champion pricing
“We plan to keep the existing flow of new champions having an initially higher price point and being discounted after a week with an additional discount after two seasons where they’ll be placed in a tier based on the data we see with new and returning players. Champions that have VGUs, CGUs, or Midscope updates that change their tier will also see their prices updated if we feel they’ve become better experiences for new or returning players.” they continued.
They also said that there is a chance for VGUs and CGUs to have their prices raised, but it’s something they’re trying to actively avoid.
“We don’t think this will ever be a possibility for Midscopes, but it could be for VGUs and CGUs. Again we’re going to try to avoid ever doing that, but if we do we will aim to communicate it early enough so that you’re all aware the price is going up.”
Read more: Skarner VGU - Details, Release date, and more
Riot revealed the tiers for the new LoL champion pricing system
Below you can find the new LoL champion pricing system that should be implemented in the upcoming Patch 13.5:
- 450 BE / 260 RP – Champions that are awesome for new players. These have a strong fantasy and an approachable kit that our data suggests helps folks find success early. Examples include Malphite, Miss Fortune, and Yuumi.
- 1350 BE / 585 RP – Champions that are a bit more complex than the lower tier, but still approachable for interested folks. These will have more nuanced skill checks in their play patterns, but maintain reasonable skill floors and have proven to be fan favorites. Examples include Yasuo, Lucian, and Sett.
- 3150 BE / 790 RP – Champions that have a larger degree of difficulty or specialization in their play. These will often have steeper learning curves to climb before one sees consistent success with them. Examples include LeBlanc, Shaco, and Yorick.
- 4444 BE / 880 RP – “Only perfection and beauty are allowed at this tier. HAHAHAHA.” – This will be Jhin’s new price.
- 4800 BE / 880 RP – The majority of the roster will live here.
- 6300 BE / 975 RP – Champions that have come out in the past two seasons, after which they will move to the tier above after the next season starts.
- 7800 BE / 975 RP – Champions that have come out in the past week.
The developers also said they are going to roll out new champion bundles that cover a variety of gameplay roles within each tier, making the purchases even more cost-effective for players looking to supercharge their early collection.
The Riot developers continued: “Overall, this represents a fairly significant decrease to the BE/RP cost of our roster, which should make it easier for players starting their journey to find the fun in League. Without discounts, this equates to a reduction of 140,606 BE and 14,905 RP for our champion catalog!”
Read more: LoL skins 2023 | All new League skins released so far
Four champions will get an increase in cost
While the prices have gone down significantly, there are some champions that are going to get an increase in price:
- Twisted Fate.
All these champions will be raised back to 4800 BE (their RP prices, though, will stay at 260).
“They’re awesome champions that many players enjoy today, but we do not think that new players are likely to find success with them, and the data we’re seeing supports this as well” is the reasoning behind Riot’s decision.
Read more: "Our goal is becoming a top European Org" - Introducing NOVO Esports